Re: Hurd FS hierarchy in FHS.

From: Thomas Bushnell, BSG
Subject: Re: Hurd FS hierarchy in FHS.
Date: 23 May 2002 09:26:14 -0700

Jeroen Dekkers <jeroen@dekkers.cx> writes:

> Ok, the FSH is a unix standard, the difference doesn't really matter
> for us.

No, the FHS is a filesystem standard for Posix and related systems.
It is a perfectly appropriate sort of thing for GNU.

> If you build a GNU system from scratch your filesystem hierarchy will
> be as specified in the makefiles. So in fact the GNU Coding Standards
> defines how your filesystem looks like. The FHS is useless if no
> software actually implements it.

No, and I wish instead of your knee-jerk responses you'd think for a
bit.

The GNU Coding Standards are *massively* underspecified, and say
nothing about where a system integrator should install things.