Re: Running several instances of an fs server...

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Running several instances of an fs server...
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 21:13:09 +0200

> > > Since filesystems can be `mounted' in users directories, serveral users
> > > of the same machine are very likely to mount the same filesystem in
> > > their own home dir, so that's an important issue.
>
>  This isn't true because users currently cannot get the device master port
> for the physical devicce.

Ok. So my question is: how should normal users access stored filesystems? For
instance, on my machine (well, it has only one user), I have made all the
partitions I use world readable/writable (666) in such a way that I can
`mount' those partitions writable in my home dir.

So, in the `real world', should the devices be 644 or even 600, in which case
there would be only one mount point chosen by the administrator? In this case,
we could only take advantage of the fact that the fs code is lying in user
space with non-stored filesystems (eg. a user is allowed to mount an
nfs/ftpfs/httpfs/shadowfs but is still not allowed to mount a disk
filesystem).

Thanks,
Ludovic.