Re: Let's take Moskus as the Hurd animal!

From: Jeroen Dekkers
Subject: Re: Let's take Moskus as the Hurd animal!
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 16:36:27 +0200

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 10:21:24AM +0200, Christian Mertes wrote:
> James Morrison <rocketmail_com@rocketmail.com> wrote:
> >  Product? Cute?  Who cares about cute, I want something that
> >  stomps on penguins
> > and other things that get in the way.
>
> Not sure if general public and media share your oppinion.

I'm not really sure we have to care about that. I think that the
opinion of the actual Hurd hackers are more important.

> Seriously, I oftenly tried to imagine what Linux would be now
> without Tux. I don't think they would be that popular. Perhaps
> Linux wouldn't have been in the media so much, rendering
> GNU/Linux users still a bunch of freaks. What I see now in some
> tv shows and newspaper articles is a much larger bunch of
> political heroes that invented a completely new economical order.
> IMHO caring about that difference is no mistake.

That's not because of tux, it's just a picture to identify Linux. It's
because free software is just the Right Thing and when you keep
telling that to people for a long time they might even understand
it.

We actually never invented something, we just changed it back to the
way it used to be (before the software industry was
commercialized). The media still don't get the real point most of the
time and a logo isn't going to change that.

> Furthermore it sounds as if you'd like to make the Hurd an OS
> monster.

The Hurd isn't an OS, it's the core of an OS, the GNU operating
system.

> Ok, doing it the OpenBSD way could be an option. They changed
> their mascot, too, although a lot of people already knew the old
> one. I don't really know why they changed but I think that way
> they reach more non-hackers.

I guess that they changed is because they liked the new logo more than
the old one.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org  IRC ID: jeroen@openprojects