Re: Let's take Moskus as the Hurd animal!

From: Patrick Strasser
Subject: Re: Let's take Moskus as the Hurd animal!
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 23:58:47 +0200

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

What's wrong with the baby gnu by Etienne Suvasa [1]?

[1]: http://www.gnu.org/graphics/babygnu.html

I think the Baby GNU is best suited in the moment. We are not "full-grown", so this could be a logo until the next official release. Even more important: it is very cute and avokes some protective <http://dict.leo.org/?search=protective&p=/B/V.> instinct <http://dict.leo.org/?search=instinct&p=/B/V.> s. So this may sound a bit strange, but I think this is, what a mascot is all about: our little <logoname>, that we all love and that we are proud of, representing our work and all the time and struggle we put into it. Moreover it represents the attitude. And I always had the feeling that people were welcome on the Hurd project. I think the Baby GNU makes all this quite clear, Much better than some big animal.

I understand that people want to represent the Hurd as a herd of GNUs, but I see 4 problems with this representation:
*) its not quite sympathetic, not cute at all
*) its not funny - a good laughter in the very first moment is a big advantage *) it is hard to draw a small clear logo with a reasonable herd of big animals on it
*) it does not represent the current state

Just an additional thought: I found Tux always quite clumsy. He is usually sitting arround, not making a whiff of a move. That never made a good impression to me.

Patrick

Patrick Strasser <pstrasser at bigfoot dot de>