Re: "find" doesn't work

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: "find" doesn't work
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 20:11:10 +0200

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 06:30:35PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> I found the reason why find doesn't work. Beside setting st_nlink to the
> number of subdirs plus two as Thomas said, it is also necessary to set a
> different inode number (st_ino) for each node of the fs. Otherwise find will
> just skip the subdirs that have an already seen inode number.  The version of
> shadowfs I have just doesn't set the st_ino field, so it may or may not work.

The inode number is not a reliable unique identifier for a file in the
system.  It should use the st_ino + st_dev field.  Only both together
uniquely identify a file.

> This means that find may also not work well when searching across various
> filesystems since different filesystems may very well use the same inode
> numbers.

Maybe it tries to figure out "mount points" itself?  It will fail to do so
on the Hurd.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de