Re: GNU under emulator

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: GNU under emulator
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 07:49:43 +0200

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 12:39:14AM -0400, Sebastian Silva wrote:
> I want to install the Hurd under some kind of emulator. Just wondering which
> one you guys recommend - I've read a few articles about it running under
> bochs,
> how is performance?

A bit faster then Plex86 (at least in IO operations)

> I would prefer an option where I can have it in a partition,
> like non-free vmware, but would prefer a free solution like plex86. Anyway,
> this
> bochs should solve my dvorak-keymap woes, and also my networking woes,
> shouldnt
> it?

On Bochs, direct partition access is being worked on at the moment. It
currently supports keymaps and networking.

> I would prefer an option where I can also dual-boot so I can test pcmcia
> advancements and stuff like that.
> So, to summarize, what would you recommend: {bochs | vmware | plex86} ?

Plex86 is still slower than Bochs, and in experimental stage.

VMware sucks because it's nonfree (and we heard that it's unable to boot GNU)

GUSS (http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/guss/) looks like a promising project.
the only inconvenient is that it hasn't been written yet ;)

So Bochs is your best option IMO. There are some problems with it though,
would you like to help by debugging these?

You can find the list of known problems here:

http://khazad.dyndns.org/gnu/bochs

Installing GNU in Bochs can take you a few days, because most problem
are related with installation. I suggest that you take the hard disk
image from the same URL and start from there.

have luck

--
Robert Millan

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992