Installation

From: Roy Falk
Subject: Installation
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 00:50:29 +0300

Greetings

Installed the HURD over the past week from the debian cd, and I have to say
it was a breeze. (Tornado, demolishing houses and partitions...)

I do have some problems and questions:
1. I am missing mouse,kbd and eth0.
Obviously the following won't work without them:
settrans -c /dev/kbd /hurd/kbd
settrans -c /dev/mouse /hurd/mouse
settrans -c /dev/eth0 /hurd/eth?
I'm basically stumped here.
2. I am beginning to suspect the installation did not install GCC and other
amenities. I am familiar with RPMs. I would appreciate pointers and links to
the relevant documents - Should I read the debian manual?
3. "Upgrading" the Hurd
How outdated is the binary installation compared to the source. I have D/L
the source (hurd.tgz) from the alpha server. Should I upgrade? Will this help
with question # 1?

Development
4. C++ - Is there any reason C++ won't work in hurd. I am much more familiar
with it. (I'd say yes myself, but I could easily be wrong)

Stupid git question
5. How do I subscribe to this mailing list. Usually there's some mechanism...
(For now, I'll read the response in the archive)

Well, I think that's enough for now

Roy Falk