Re: problems after building hurd

From: Matej Kosik
Subject: Re: problems after building hurd
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 21:42:17 -0100

"Alfred M. Szmidt" wrote:

> Matej Kosik <kosik@decef.elf.stuba.sk> writes:
> > ?Can hurd be built and installed safely from sources on the running
> >  hurd system?
>
> The CVS for the Hurd is currently in a unstable state as Roland
> committed a lot of untested code. ;)
>
> You might want to try the tree before those commits by running this in
> your source tree for the Hurd:
>
>  cvs up -D 'Tue Jun 11 20:38:35 UTC 2002'
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Alfred M. Szmidt

Thank you for your advice,

I have tried the following thing:

# under Linux
cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/hurd login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/hurd co \
-D 'Tue Jun 11 20:38:35 UTC 2002' hurd

# under Hurd
cd hurd # source directory
autoconf &&
make &&
make install

Even this version of hurd seems to be unstable.
May it be possible ?

After building and installing the hurd,
when I for example tried

        # this worked before installation of the
        # hurd from source code
        settrans -ca /mnt/hd0s4 /hurd/ext2 /dev/hd0s4

but now I obtain a short message

        Killed.

After rebooting, booting ends with the following message:
(approximatelly)

Hurd server bootstrap:ext2fs.static[hd0s3] execext2fs.static:
boot-start.c:396 diskfs_execboot_fsys_startup:
Unexpected error: (ipc/mig) wrong reply message ID.

memory_object_data_request(0x0, 0x0, 0x2000, 0x1000, 0x1) failed, <some
number>

There are two possibilities

- I installed and built the source code in a wrong why (what?)
- or the hurd version you proposed as stable are not stable

I tried also version tagged as `hurd-release-0-2', which I guessed
to be stable but when I tried it to build it, the system also
failed to boot, so I am now a bit confused.

If you have any tip which can help me (the name of the stable hurd
version),
please help me.

thanks in advance

Matej Kosik