Re: i can't _startx_ to enter graphic mode

From: Manu Valderrama
Subject: Re: i can't _startx_ to enter graphic mode
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 11:18:13 +0200

wusuowei wrote:

when i use _/X11R6/xf86cfg_ to configure x-server,the system can enter graphic mode. but when i press _startx_ in the shell,the screen will display the following :
X:/tmp/.X11-unix has suspicious ownership (not root:root),aborting.
and the system halt here.
what should i do next step to _startx_ my system?

Try for example :

# chown root /tmp/.X11-unix
# chgrp root /tmp/X11-unix

since is what startx is complaining about
( X:/tmp/.X11-unix has suspicious ownership (not root:root),aborting. ).

In the past I had this same problem ( with my old G1, sigh! ),
but actually not. I'm curious them to know what hurd CD set
has give you this problem.

The bad thing is that this "solution" must be applied
after the first failed startx, then chown and chroot again,
and after that startx again. Not very nice, but maybe it
would work.

Bye!
Manuel