Re: DHCP w/ tarball installs

From: Tom Hart
Subject: Re: DHCP w/ tarball installs
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 14:54:14 -0500

Works perfect, Manu. Thanks a lot!

Manu Valderrama wrote:

Hello Hurd!

Is it possible to set up the network with DHCP on a Debian GNU/Hurd installation generated from a tarball from alpha.gnu.org, or must I install from the Debian CD's to get this working? I've RTFM'd, but neither Neal's install guide nor the GNU Hurd User's Guide and Reference Manual makes any mention of this. All I can find is,

# settrans -fgap /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet -i eth0 \
-a a.b.c.d -g e.f.g.h -m i.j.k.l

In principle there is no DHCP support under the Hurd, but if you think
about what DHCP does it is not hard to find a solution for connecting
the Hurd to the net with DHCP. You just need to gather the network
parameters like address, gateway or mask from any operating system in
which DHCP works, then reboot, and configure the network under the
Hurd as it was a normal LAN. I have attached a recipe of how I do that
on my Hurd box.

Which assumes a static IP address.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Tell me if this have worked for you ( since it has worked for me ).
Good Luck!

Bye,
Manuel.

--