Can um-pppd be made to work?

From: Clemmitt Sigler
Subject: Can um-pppd be made to work?
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:26:04 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I downloaded, hacked/patched, and built um-pppd natively under
Hurd 0.3.  This is the latest source version from the main pool,
which is um-pppd_20010804-1.

I then made /dev/com0, and I can talk to my external modem just
fine.  I then edited /etc/ppp/ppp.conf to (hopefully) connect
to my ISP's dial-up pool.

I tried running ppp but got the error about not having a tunnel
device.  So I created a tunnel device like so:

   # settrans -c /dev/tun0 /hurd/pfinet

Now when I run ppp, I get the following error message:

   iface_Create: ioctl(SIOCGIFFLAGS): No such device.

Looking just a bit at iface.c, I'm confused.  It looks like
the socket is valid, so why does it say "no such device?"
Did I do something wrong creating /dev/tun0, or something else
silly?  TIA for any help :^)

                                        Clemmitt Sigler