RE: "Translator died";cut & paste OK?

From: sigbj-st
Subject: RE: "Translator died";cut & paste OK?
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 19:31:29 +0100

Trying out my Hurd-box with example from
www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-doc-translator
As I wrote the other day my translators dies upon the following scheme:

    dd if=/dev/zero of=dummy.fs bs=1024k count=8 .
    mke2fs dummy.fs
    settrans -c dummy /hurd/ext2fs 'pwd' /dummy.fs
    ls dummy
    error:"translator died"

If I try:

    mount -t ext2 /dev/hd2s1 /mnt   ...or...:
    settrans /mnt /hurd/ext2fs /dev/hd2s1
    cd /mnt
The result is the same: "translator died"

The interesting thing is that if I try 'cd /mnt',it is impossible to get to
/mnt by cd command.I have to: [settrans -g /mnt].Now I can cd /mnt. I think I
understand that last feature,which in my excitement overshadows the
disappointment of not being able to see the passive translator start up on
'ls'.
I am falling between two chairs: on the one side I am disappointed not to be
able to have the translator work,on the other I am excited to see that I have
to "settrans -g" i order to be able to 'cd'.
As you can imagine my excitement over Hirda is enormous(you know what I am
talking about Alfred M. Szmidt)

In the reply Neal Walfield told me that my CUT and PASTE are broken.I perceive
this to be meant as my cut and paste bin programs(?).I have tested these two
programs and they work individually on my hurd-box.If they are broken what do
I do,or how do I find out this?

Only one thing bothers me: that I appear as a plague and pest for the
hurd-people with all my questions;enthough: hurd-help is still on the net for
us out there.

Sincerely, Sigbjorn Storset,