Re: Some X libraries have dropped off the radar

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Some X libraries have dropped off the radar
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 01:54:24 +0100

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 08:52:37PM +0100, Matthew Hambley wrote:
> In message <20021015090045.GB4856@uvt407-5.ruk.cuni.cz>
>           Michal 'hramrach' Suchanek <hramrach_l@centrum.cz> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 08:06:01PM +0100, Matthew Hambley wrote:
> > > I've got a bit of a problem with the updates recently made to the X
> > > system in Debian GNU/HURD.  I can not install xfonts-scalable as the
> > > installation process can't find libXft.so.1.  This I find surprising
> > > given that it is
> > Perhaps you would like to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH before you run
> > dpkg/apt/dselect or make a symlink that makes the lib visible to the
> > liker?
>
> I discovered the LD_LIBRARY_PATH solution after posting the request for
> help.  I was confused by the fact that I had set up /etc/ld.so.conf as I
> would for a Linux system but it was having no effect.  Since it appears not
> to be used would it make sense to remove it from the distribution?

Yeah, sure.  It is a Linux-specific addition to the Linker.  We should
remove it, but it is created by several packages in their postinst scripts,
and it is just a cosmetic change.  So it has so low priority that it drops
off everybodies radar even if you have it right in front of you.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/