Re: The mach kernel hangs after detecting my flopy

From: Tom Hart
Subject: Re: The mach kernel hangs after detecting my flopy
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 11:44:44 -0600

Dan Adrian wrote:
Hello Everyone  , i'm new (just trying to make it work
on my machine) so i would apreciate the help, I cant boot the mach kernel , it loads ok and detects
my disk drives and then it hangs , the last thing it
prints is "FDC 0 is post-1991 82077" , and nothing
work's from that point (i have to unplug the machine)

GNU Mach has notorious problems with IRQ sharing, and it also throbs on some devices. Unplugging devices or recompiling Mach can help solve the problem. There's also a Hardware Compatibility Guide you can take a look at.

i used the grub command lines to boot :
root (hd0,3)
kernel /boot/gnumach.gz root=hd0s4
module /boot/serverboot.gz
boot

The serverboot method is deprecated. Refer to Neal's Install Guide or the GNU/Hurd User's Guide (http://seinfeld.arrowstreet.com/docs) for a more up-to-date method of booting the Hurd.

  /  Tom Hart                                      |
 |   hartte13@BrandonU.ca                          |
  \  "rmTFM - Build consistent interfaces."        |