Re: About CDROM and floppy

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: About CDROM and floppy
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 11:51:21 +0100

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 02:09:18AM -0800, john stephen wrote:
> hi,
>    I installed gnu/Hurd using J2 binaries...I set up the translator to cd
>    drive using
>
> settrans -a /cdrom /hurd/isofs /dev/hd2 ... and i included the following
> entry in the /etc/fstab file.

fstab is only used for swap and fsck on GNU. if you want a node that persists
over reboots pass -p to settrans (see settrans --help)

> /dev/hd2  /cdrom auto defaults,noauto,ro 0 0 for cdrom. But while trying
> mount /cdrom it's saying auto:unknown file system.

we don't have support for "auto" filesystems (although an auto translator
would be cool)

I don't play with fstab for cdroms but maybe if you try:

/dev/hd2 /cdrom iso ro 0 0

that'd work for mount

the recommended solution is not to use fstab for that, though
(and using settrans instead of mount/umount)

> and how to setup
> floppy drive....

settrans -a /floppy /hurd/something /dev/fd0

depending on the floppy filesystem. vfat is partialy supported

> umount command also didn't work saying that command not
> found.

we don't have umount? how about:

#!/bin/sh
settrans -fg $1

could someone put an umount in the CVS?

--
Robert Millan

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992