Authentication failure: (ipc/mig) server died

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Authentication failure: (ipc/mig) server died
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 23:35:03 +0100

Hi,

I'm getting this error realy often, usualy after playing a bit with
a fresh-installed gnu.

After login, and being asked for password:

  login: Authentication failure: (ipc/mig) server died

If i type "exec su" at the login prompt, it will spawn a root shell, though.

I guess the error may be related to problems with an un-fsck'ed root
filesystem, as ext2fs was started on such some times.

I'm going to reinstall. If i hit this error again, is there something
i can try to provide useful information?

--
Robert Millan

"Omnis enim res, quad dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur,
nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est."

"For if a thing is not diminished by being shared with others, it is
not rightly owned if it is only owned and not shared."

                Aurelius Augustinus (354-430)