Re: GNU/Hurd User's Guide

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: GNU/Hurd User's Guide
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 16:10:34 +0100

   > Isn't the installation covered by Neal's guide? And the shell
   > covered by the Bash manual?  Maybe this could be made into an
   > general document about learning about the GNU system, I don't
   > think such a guide exists.

   That's what it is.  It's called a users guide because users should
   read it.  It's not a manual, it's a guide, so giving some basics on
   everything probably doesn't hurt.

You misunderstood me.  I don't know how you see the difference between
a guide and a manual, but here is how I see it; a guide is a step by
step document on how to achieve a specific task (ex. installing Debian
GNU/Hurd), a manual discusses a specific tool both in detail, and in
general terms. (ex. using bash).

The bash manual discusses topics about how to use the shell, what the
shell is, what features the shell has etc.  All very useful both for
a user and for a shell script hacker.  The same goes for GDB, Emacs,
etc.