Re: kernel panic

From: Mark Ellis
Subject: Re: kernel panic
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 11:47:07 +0000

On 2003.02.11 04:07 James Morrison wrote:

--- Mark Ellis <mark.uzumati@virgin.net> wrote:
> On 2003.02.07 14:18 James Morrison wrote:
> >
> > --- Mark Ellis <mark.uzumati@virgin.net> wrote:
> > > Hi all, getting a panic on boot from gnumach 1.3
> > >
> > > panic: linux_init: alloc_contig_mem failed
> > >
> > > I've found a few other reports from back in August 2001,
possibly
> > > relating it to too much RAM, or possibly not. I have 354MB.
> > >
> > > Oddly, the panic occurs when booted off hd1s3, but not off
hd1s1,
> > using
> > > both a debian kernel and one cross-comped from linux. Disk
layout
> > is:-
> > >
> > > hd1s1 approx 1GB ext2 hurd/gnu
> > > hd1s3 approx 1GB ext2 hurd/gnu
> > > unpartitioned approx 1GB
> > > hd1s2 approx 7GB ext3 linux/gnu
> > >
> > > in that order. Was the previous issue resolved, and does anyone
> > think
> > > it could be related to mine ? Thanks for any insight.
> > >
> > > Mark
> > >

> >  What happens when you set root=device:hd1s2?
> >

> It panics. Following up on that idea, it also panics on all of
hd0s*,
> which admittedly is a 40GB disc, but hd0s1 is only 1GB, so i'm
> surprised it bombed.
>
> Mark

 This is terribly strange.  Have you had a chance to try compiling
gnumach
from cvs?

The above was with the 1.3 release tarball. I've tried the latest oskit-mach cvs, got a different panic, not surprising as its the first time i've tried oskit, so i probably got something wrong, i'll play with that a bit more. Is there a bugfix branch for 1.3 ?

Mark