Re: Vortex NIC problem

From: Ciro Cavani
Subject: Re: Vortex NIC problem
Date: 07 Mar 2003 15:21:35 -0300

Em Sex, 2003-03-07 às 03:42, Joachim Nilsson escreveu:
> Hello!
Hello,

> You should get a better result with GNUmach 1.2 rather than with OSKit-Mach.
> This because the former has a newer driver than the latter. So, it should
> work - as it does for Matt.
>
> In GNUmach 1.2 there is support for the 3c905C Tornado. See the following URL:
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/hurd/gnumach/linux/src/drivers/net/Attic/3c59x.c?rev=1.3&only_with_tag=gnumach-1-branch&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
>
> You also see this when booting
>
>   3c59x.c:v0.99L 5/28/99 Donald Becker ...

The driver from linux before 2.2.17 never work with my NIC... but I am
suprise that the NIC is recognised but not work...

> While in the currently released OSKit, available from, amongst other places:
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/oskit/oskit/linux/src/drivers/net/3c59x.c?rev=1.1.1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
>
> There you can find the string:
>
>    3c59x.c:v0.99H 11/17/98 Donald Becker ...
>
> I have patches for the OSKit to bring it's Linux drivers up to par
> with Linux 2.2.22, but I haven't yet gotten any time to integrate
> them with the Savannah OSKit tree. If you'd like to try anyway you
> can get them from the Hurd Wiki at:
>
>    http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Hurd/JoachimNilssonHurdPage
>
> You also need Daniel Wagner's Mach patches, but that's another
> story. See the mailing list archives for that stuff:
>
>    http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-hurd/2003-01/msg00088.html
>
> Or the Hurd Wiki, again:
>
>    http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Mach/OskitMachPatches

Thank you very much... this works to me... and now I have a system to
work on... thank you!!!!

> If you don't feel like building OSKit-Mach again you could checkout
> the gnumach-1-branch from CVS, lift in the Linux 2.2.24 3c59x.c
> driver and rebuild GNUmach 1.2 - that could possibly give you a
> better result.

I want to make GNU Mach 1.3 work too, but I don't figure out how... can
you be more specific?

Thanks

--
Ciro Cavani <cavani@h8.ita.br>