Re: small question

From: James A. Morrison
Subject: Re: small question
Date: 10 Mar 2003 09:55:19 -0500

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 04:33, Alexander Ward KULUNGOWSKI wrote:
> What is the Hurd equivalent of netname_look_up in:
>
> retcode = netname_look_up(name_server_port,
>                           "",
>                           "RandomServerPort",
>                           &serv_port);
>
> from the client code posted at:
>
> http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/mach/public/doc/unpublished/examples/userandom.c
>
> ?
>
> I'm having difficulty making the conceptual leap from MiG-generated
> client-server type code to what you guys have done with Hurd.  I tried
> tracing a call to file_name_lookup() back into what I hoped would be
> MiG territory, but no dice.
>
> Thanks again for your help,
>
> Alex

 file_name_lookup is basically the replacement for netname_look_up.
However, file_name_lookup is a call to a function in glibc which then
does the right thing.  For programming client-server stuff on the Hurd,
I suggest you use libtrivfs, there is a good example in the Hurd Hackers
guide.

James A. Morrison