Re: pkgfs?

From: Eric Sandall
Subject: Re: pkgfs?
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:30:53 -0800 (PST)

Alfred M. Szmidt said:
>    Why not create a magical /pkg directory into which one could move
> rpms, or debs and magically install them.  Obviously, moving the file
> out of the /pkg directory would deinstall and reconstitute the
> package.
>
> Would you like to do this?
>
>    This sort of thing would make sys-admining MUCH easier and might
> perhaps be a ``killer-app'' which makes GNU/Hurd catch on.
>
> I always thought that translators were the "killer-app", looks like I
> was wrong. :)
>
> By the way, web-hurd is meant for disucssions about the Hurd web
> pages, so I have changed the CC to help-hurd.
>
> Cheers.

Perhaps you could join Source Mage GNU/Linux and we could work on a port
as Source Mage GNU/HURD, as Debian has done.  We have a _very_ nice
package management system.  'Course, I'm a little biased, but heh.  :)

-Sandalle

--
PGP Key 0x5C8D199A5A317214
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5A317214

Eric Sandall                     |  Source Mage GNU/Linux Developer
eric@sandall.us                  |  http://www.sourcemage.org/
http://eric.sandall.us/          |  SysAdmin @ Inst. Shock Physics @ WSU
http://counter.li.org/  #196285  |  http://www.shock.wsu.edu/