Re: Running custom base servers

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Running custom base servers
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 16:27:14 +0200

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 04:19:47PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Yes, I was actually thinking about the socket servers, pflocal and
> pfinet.  As you said, we would need a per-protocol environment variable
> such as PFINETSERVER and PFLOCALSERVER.  Maybe these variables should
> just be ignored for setuid programs.

I didn't say that :)  I can also imagine something like
SOCKETSERVER=1:~/socket/1

with the possibility to list several of them.

where 1 is the protocol number.  Note that there is no mapping of protocol
names to numbers in glibc at that place in the code right now (IIRC), so you
don't really want to add that.

> Would it be possible to have glibc changed so that it looks for these
> variables before lookup'ing the default servers?  I think that it's an
> interesting and useful feature which would be easy to add to glibc.
> What do you think?

Sure, this is a useful feature.  As I said, you must be a bit careful in
implementing it to stay secure, but I would say have a go at it.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/