partitioning (/sbin/dbootstrap) in Sid installation

From: Dan Hitt
Subject: partitioning (/sbin/dbootstrap) in Sid installation
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 12:25:20 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I'm trying to set up (in emulation, under bochs) a Hurd system
using the Sid (K2) distribution (which i got from our very own
Philip C of http://www.copyleft.co.nz --- thanks again Phil).

I'm using the graphical install program which comes up after the boot
prompt, which i gather must be /sbin/dbootstrap (from running ps in
the optional shell).

I've tried partitioning the (virtual) disk in three ways, all of
which generate problems later in the install:

  I:  750M for Hurd  (63) partition, marked bootable, hda1
       87M for Swap  (82) partition,                  hda2

 II:  750M for Linux (83) partition, marked bootable, hda1
       87M for Swap  (82) partition,                  hda2

III:  650M for Hurd  (63) partition, marked bootable, hda1
      100M for Linux (83) partition,                  hda2
       87M for Swap  (82) partition,                  hda3

With #I, after setting up the partition, i go to item #4 on the
install menu, which is entitled ``Initialize a GNU/Hurd Partition'', and
i get the message:
   Problem: No ext2 partitions that had not already been mounted were
            detected
and then the message
   No Linux partitions were detected.  At least one Linux partition is
   required to hold the root filesystem.  Selecting "Next" will start
   the partitioning program.  Use that to create "Linux Native"
   partitions on your local disk".

Thus #I appears wrong.
With #II, after setting up the partition, i go to item #5 on the
install menu, which is entitled ``Initialize a GNU/Linux Partition'', and
i get the message:

   You have chosen to initialize /dev/hda1 as a Linux Ext2 filesystem.
   This will permanently erase any data on this partition.  The root
   partition must contain a GNU/Hurd filesystem.  Extra partitions can
   only be mounted after the GNU system is running.  The extra
   partitions can be re-initialized.  Are you sure you want to do
   this?

So #II also appears wrong.
With #III, after setting up the partition, i go to item #4 on the
install menu (the one which says ``Initialize a GNU/Hurd Partition'')
and instead of trying to work on hda1, it tries to work on hda2.

So #III might be right, but i'm not sure how to deal with it.

So: i'm all ears for any recommendations.

I certainly wouldn't mind working from the shell, but i don't really
know where to start (and it looks like the dbootstrap program is a
binary instead of some kind of script, so i don't have any clues from
it).

Thanks in advance for any help, advice, criticism, etc.

dan