Re: posix

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: posix
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 15:19:32 +0200

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 09:29:51AM -0000, chetan  gv wrote:
> hello,
>
>   I wanted to know the support HURD provides for POSIX standards
> in general and pthreads in particular. Is there anything that is
> still to be done related to implementation of threads ?

note that the Hurd isn't meant to provide a POSIX API. it is
the system as a whole (GNU) that provides it (and Glibc in particular)

there are many bugs and lacks of features in the system API we
have. some of them are in the Hurd and others in Glibc. i just
put up a Wiki document with the list:

        http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Distrib/SystemAPILimits

if you want to help on fixing any of them, that'd be much appreciated.
see the comments in the corresponding debian bug log and ask in
bug-hurd for any questions you have.

in particular, you might be interested on:

- missing shm* functions (for cdrtools)
- missing fcntl with F_GETLK (ENOSYS) (for GNOME)
- missing POSIX semaphores (ask Neal on what is the current patch lacking)

--
Robert Millan

make: *** No rule to make target `war'.  Stop.

Another world is possible - Just say no to genocide