Re: Grep --directories option

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: Grep --directories option
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 14:01:31 +0200

Hallo all,

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 01:19:35PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> In the Hurd, a directory might be a conventional directory.  However, it
> might also be a strange non-standard thingie.  That thingie could allow
> directory operations on it like a conventional directory.

oh, that's clear explanation, thanks.

> On systems where opening a directory always fails, the error output
> of grep tends to annoy me, though.

I have the same feeling.

> How to differentiate these systems
> I don't know, maybe a "mkdir foo; cat foo"?
> Or just using host_os

Thank you very much.  I think this is the best solution.
I hope the test you suggest will work.   And we can use host_os
for special OS'es where this will cause problems.

I hope that no one minds that the default depends on the OS.

Stepan Kasal