Re: scsh port to the Hurd

From: Wolfgang Jaehrling
Subject: Re: scsh port to the Hurd
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 20:23:23 +0200

Hi Andreas!

On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 01:38:00PM +0200, Andreas Voegele wrote:
> Scsh maps several definitions from /usr/include/bits/fcntl.h to Scheme
> symbols.  For example, on all supported systems the following symbols
> (among others) are defined:
>
> O_RDONLY -> open/read
> O_WRONLY -> open/write
> O_RDWR   -> open/read+write
> O_NOCTTY -> open/no-control-tty
>
> I decided to map the Hurd-specific definitions to the following
> symbols:
>
> O_EXEC        -> open/execute
> O_NOLINK      -> open/no-link
> O_NOTRANS     -> open/no-translator
> O_NOATIME     -> open/no-access-time
> O_IGNORE_CTTY -> open/ignore-control-tty
>
> What do you think about these names?  I'm open to alternative
> suggestions (but I won't accept abbreviations like open/noatime since
> none of the other supported systems uses abbreviated names).

These look like the best names possible to me.  Abbreviated names
would also be rather un-Schemey.  (And BTW, I really appreciate that
you did add these GNU/Hurd specific features.  We should have such
stuff available in more programs.  I would find it especially cool if
they would be hacked into Guile...)

Cheers,
GNU/Wolfgang

--
"A good programming language should have features that make the kind
of people who use the phrase `software engineering' shake their heads