Trouble going multiuser.

From: Cyber Vagrant
Subject: Trouble going multiuser.
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 13:01:38 -0700 (PDT)

I tried load the hurd onto a scsi disk all seemed to
go well I booted into multiuser mode the first time
set the root password, then tried to reboot.

I then got an error from fsck reporting that it had
trouble figuring out if the drive was mounted.  Afer
many repeat attempts.  I thought may it was the scsi
controller AHA-2940UW or the drive IBM DCHS04U.  So, I
loaded hurd onto an ide drive and experieced the same
problem.  This time it refused to go multiuser even
once.

The host system is Debian Woody runing on a Dell
PII233 with 64MB RAM.  Any idea's?