Diskless booting

From: M. Gerards
Subject: Diskless booting
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 19:10:15 +0200

Hi,

How can I boot GNU/Hurd without using a harddrive... is this possible?

I thought about this for some time. I think a initrd like filesystem might solve
it. It should have pfinet and nfs in it, other servers aswell. Is it possible
for GNU/Hurd to load such a filesystem? GRUB has support for diskless booting,
but the problem might be how to tell ext2fs where it can find the initrd in
memory and if GNUMach is capable of doing that.

If not can someone please tell me what needs to be done to support it. If I
write such a think, will it be added to CVS?

Thanks,
Marco