Re: Conflicting linux and GNU headerfiles in pfinet

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Conflicting linux and GNU headerfiles in pfinet
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 07:14:34 +0200

   I'm trying to get some extra ioctl support in pfinet (for
   routing). The problem I'm having is that I need to include the
   headerfile <net/route.h>. Sometimes I need the linux version (in
   the linux code) and sometimes I need the glibc version (for mig
   generated code and for some pfinet (Hurd) code.

Can't you manipulate the -I lines for gcc? I.e. when we are compiling
Linux specific code put the Linux header directory before the Hurd
one, and vice versa.

   >From net/route.h I need "struct rtentry". In net/route.h in the
   linux header files this struct is not defined (it is defined in
   linux/route.h). And in GNU/Hurd it is define in <net/route.h>.

In recent libc's on GNU/Linux rtentry is in <net/route.h>.  Maybe that
another way of fixing the problem...

   When I was reading <bits/ioctls.h> I found something else that
   confuses me. The ioctl SIOCADDRT uses a "struct ortentry" here
   instead of "struct rtentry" that is used in every other part of
   glibc and in linux. Is this just something that needs to be changed
   in glibc or is there a reason why it was called ortentry?

I assume that this is for old rtentry (4.3 BSD?).  But why it is used
I have no idea.