Re: first steps in the Hurd code

From: Greg Buchholz
Subject: Re: first steps in the Hurd code
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 00:52:07 +0100 (BST)

   Thanks Marcus, I've now got a lot more to chew on.  And Patrick, if you
(or someone else -- maybe even me, if I can eventually get my brain
wrapped around it) write something up on how the hurd and mach coexist,
I'd suggest that it start at a very high level of abstraction.  Most of
the existing documentation of how mach and the hurd work together seems to
be written at a very low level (for instance the mach section of the _Hurd
Hacking Guide_ with all those MACH_blah_* #defines makes eyes hurt).  The
high level description is important to keep in your head so that you don't
get overwhelmed by the details when you're trying to learn about a
particular piece of code.  And I don't know if I've got very good idea of
how all the pieces fit together yet.  All of the talk about ports,
messages, and translators makes me think of ports, packets, and servers on
the networking side of things.  Does anyone else think that is a valid
analogy?  What could be added to that comparasion to make it more correct?
In general, I think documentation that looks more like English and less
like code would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Greg Buchholz