Re: Network won't run

From: Hisham Kotry
Subject: Re: Network won't run
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 09:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@kemisten.nu> wrote:
>    Also does hurd have dhcp support ?
>
> Semi, Marco hacked something for pfinet, and I'm supposed to make it
> complete by adding the new RPC calls to libc, and fixing the ISC DHCP
> client.  But right now I'm swamped with school (projects, problems to
> be turned in, and exam period comming up).  So it is on ice.  Want to
> pick it up?

The problem's not with the client (unless its not compiling or some
such), pfinet needs to forward packets with a source address of
INADDR_NONE, this can't happen unless the client either sends the whole
message using AF_PACKET (wich we don't support), or it hints to pfinet
wich interface this packet should be sent thru, one way to do this is
thru the SO_BINDTODEVICE option, ISC dhcp does that when it's supported
by the host OS. The code that processes that sockopt is in
pfinet/linux-src/core/sock.c::sock_setsockopt(), the SO_BINDTODEVICE
case is commented out, due to the lack of a better term, cause
CONFIG_NETDEVICES isn't defined anywhere iirc. Read Alexy's comment on
pfinet/linux-src/ipv4/route.c::1539, oif (the output interface) is the
value of the sending socket's bound device, wich is only set thru the
previous sockopt.

If something still doesn't work, you should start investigating from
there, rather than going back to the beggening.

> Cheers.
Cheers to you too =)
Kotry.