Booting the HURD and other issues including logging in

From: Gregg C Levine
Subject: Booting the HURD and other issues including logging in
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:10:27 -0500

Hello from Gregg C Levine
Here's my problem. I have used the BZIP2 compressed tar file that
Robert M created, to create initial file system. After some minor
tweaks in the boot sequence that the GRUB menu file came with, I can
now get to a logon prompt. I also created the console device driver as
well. And that's the problem. The native install script insists that I
should boot to a multi-user level, and logon as root before
continuing. However, the logon prompt won't let me, it insists that
root isn't a valid user. Any suggestions?

Also my network uses DHCP to set IP addresses on both this unit, and
the box hosting the HURD, while it is running Linux, that is. I have
found how to attach the translator that represents networking, but
what about a driver for the 3COM 3C905 card? And of course DHCP?
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi