Re: compiling glibc+hurd from cvs

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: compiling glibc+hurd from cvs
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 06:44:23 +0100 (MET)

   Eh, i compiled the latest libc and hurd from cvs today, installed
   then rebooted and it would freeze on trying to start ext2fs.static.

Don't do that, use a sub-hurd if you want to test things like libc.
See the Hurd reference manual for details; as always, any suggestions
on how toimprove the existing docs is very welcome.

   Are there any special precautions i should take before compiling
   and installing a new libc/hurd on an existing hurd system?

What you did is essentially correct; other then copying over your old
libc which is kinda bad if you don't know if the new one actually
works...

   Also, does anyone have any clue why it just froze?

This is very hard to say.  Could you try reproducing this in a
sub-hurd, and see if it hangs there?  And if it does, attach gdb to
the process?

   I think it was maybe gcc-3.3 but i'm not sure.

The Hurd compiles, and runs just fine with gcc 3.3, as for libc, she
is a bit untested (it is somewhere on my todo list when my main
GNU/Hurd box is up, which hopefully should be tomorrow)

   I'm sure these questions are asked a lot on the list, so if i get
   some adequate answers i'll make a readme or guide, otherwise i'll
   still make a readme or guide.

I don't think I have seen this question asked at all on the lists.  As
for a README for how to muck around with libc, I consider that a bad
idea.  Upgrading libc from CVS is a risky business, and is not for the
faint.  This is why things like packages exist.

Happy hacking.