Re: Repeater for the console client

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Repeater for the console client
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:58:00 +0200

At Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:31:07 +0200,
marco_g wrote:
> In case you have not guessed already, I encountered a program with
> libtrivfs.  It is not possible to use libtrivfs twice from within the
> same program (once from pc_kbd and once from pc_mouse).  Is there some
> way to make this possible?  I must admit I don't know much about the
> dynamic linker, but I could not find anything that could help me from
> studying documentation I found.

D'oh.  That's evil.

> 2) Using netfs to create /dev/console/ (the path is configurable, of
>    course) in which translators can be stored.  This requires a change
>    to the console client.  In that case the console client sets up the
>    /dev/console/ translator and drivers can use some special function
>    to set up a translator in that directory.

Mh.  I think you can also do several nodes in trivfs, so using netfs
is not mandatory to get the same effect.  However, in either case the
console client would need to provide an intermediate layer and
interfaces to plugins.  Seems to make sense to me to do it that way.

This should be on bug-hurd, as it is a development issue.

Marcus