Re: Repeater for the console client

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Repeater for the console client
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 00:22:51 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@chbouib.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Yesterday, 22 hours, 39 minutes, 57 seconds ago, Marco Gerards wrote:
>> 2) Using netfs to create /dev/console/ (the path is configurable, of
>>    course) in which translators can be stored.  This requires a change
>>    to the console client.  In that case the console client sets up the
>>    /dev/console/ translator and drivers can use some special function
>>    to set up a translator in that directory.
>
> Adding support functions to the console client itself sounds like a good
> idea:  the console client would provide a simple API (maybe even simpler
> than that of libtrivfs) that could be used by its drivers that need to
> communicate to the outside world via the filesystem.  Typically drivers
> would just need to define a `read' and a `write' function and pass
> pointers to them as well as a preferred node name to `console-client'.

But to make more fancy things possible (I never know what to expect in
the future, a vga repeater perhaps? ;)) it is better to have libtrivfs
like features.  But all of those can be quite simple to implement.

Among the required features is that it should be possible to provide
specific interfaces.  for example for the keyboard, there is an
interface to control the LEDs on the keyboard.

--
Marco