io_select question

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: io_select question
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 21:27:50 +0200

Hi,

While I was implementing io_select for my netfs translator I noticed
something really strange.  The io_select definition for libtrivfs and
that for other translators (like libnetfs) are different.  An example:

error_t
netfs_S_io_select (struct protid *user,
                   int *type)

kern_return_t
trivfs_S_io_select (struct trivfs_protid *cred,
                    mach_port_t reply,
                    mach_msg_type_name_t replytype,
                    int *seltype)

This is caused by:

routine io_select (
        io_object: io_t;
#if defined (REPLY_PORTS) || defined (IO_SELECT_REPLY_PORT)
        replyport reply: sreply_port_t;
#else
        ureplyport reply: mach_port_make_send_t;
#endif
        waittime timeout: natural_t;
        inout select_type: int);

I don't understand what the exact differences are and why this is
required.

Is there something I need to know about writing a server that
implements io.defs, considering the differences that exist.

Thanks,
Marco