Re: 24 lines terminal

From: Jose Luis Alarcon Sanchez
Subject: Re: 24 lines terminal
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 07:19:36 +0000

---- Begin Original Message ----

From: David Gascón <483969@unizar.es>
Sent: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 06:58:50 +0200
To: "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@kemisten.nu>
CC: Jose Luis Alarcon Sanchez <jlalarcon@tandilnet.zzn.com>,
help-hurd@gnu.org

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

>     Is the same the Marcus console and the Hurd console?
>
>Yes.
>
>Since nobody of the "old" timers seems capable of actually describing
>how to use the "new" console, I'll describe it here.  A tip for these
>"old" timers, when describng something new to a user, also provide
>information on how to use "the thing", or where to get information on
>how to use "the thing".
>

>To start the new console do the following:
>
>console -d vga -d pc_kbd -d generic_speaker /dev/vcs
>
>And voila, you have the new console, I'm assuming that Debian has a
>correct /etc/ttys file, and that /dev/vcs and friends have been
>created.
>
>If those files are not uptodate then you will have todo the following
>(you can check if they are uptodate by checking if the following lines
>exist in /etc/ttys).  In /etc/ttys add the following lines:
>
>tty1    "/libexec/getty 38400"   hurd   on   secure trusted console
>tty2    "/libexec/getty 38400"   hurd   on   secure trusted console
>tty3    "/libexec/getty 38400"   hurd   on   secure trusted console
>tty4    "/libexec/getty 38400"   hurd   on   secure trusted console
>tty5    "/libexec/getty 38400"   hurd   on   secure trusted console
>tty6    "/libexec/getty 38400"   hurd   on   secure trusted console
>
>In /dev, create the following devices:
>
>./MAKEDEV vcs tty1 tty2 tty3 tty4 tty5 tty6

I have done this stept (./MAKEDEV vcs tty1 tty2 tty3 tty4 tty5 tty6);
but  /dev/csv not exists (why???, have I left any ??)

In the /etc/ttys file there are references to the new terminals created:

tty1    "/libexec/getty 38400"   hurd   on   secure trusted console
tty2    "/libexec/getty 38400"   hurd   on   secure trusted console
.....   .........       .........

but I can read ["/libexec/getty 9800" mach-color ... ] as well.

The Hurd I have installed comes from the K6 CD. (without complete
installation by net....(the ethercard is not detected by the way))

Thanks for all.
---- End Original Message ----

  Hi David.

  For me, the Alfred's trick works well (but only two ttys,
tty1 and tty2).

  I think can be a "typo" but where you say:

"...but  /dev/csv not exists...". Not is /dev/cvs but /dev/vcs.

  Good luck.

  Regards.

  Jose.

http://www.lordofunix.org

Not Registered Bee GNU/Hurd User.
Registered BSD User 51101.
Registered Linux User #213309.
Memories..... You are talking about memories.
Rick Deckard. Blade Runner.

Obtenga su E-mail GRATUITO en http://tandilnet.zzn.com
Get your own Web-based E-mail Service at http://www.zzn.com