Problems with the console, and xfree86

From: Alex
Subject: Problems with the console, and xfree86
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 17:15:19 +0200 (CEST)

I have installed Hurd with crosshurd. Everything
worked fine. I have booted my computer in single user
mode, followed the instructions export TERM=mach ...
./native-install, reboot, export
TERM=mach..../native-install. etcetera

Then I have booted in multi user mode. It seems
exactly like the single user mode, I cannot see the
difference. I have a "sh" console where I can type for
example "login root" and then I am logged as root. The
weird part is that after setting the root password
with passwd, when I make login root, I am not asked
about the password.

Anyway, the main problem is that I cannor run the Hurd
console. I have "settransed" the /dev/kbd and tryed to
start the hurd console many ways. Here is one of what
I have tryed :

-> console -d vga -d pc_kbd -d generic_speaker
/dev/vcs

Suddenly, the screen becomes black, and the computer
blocks. I mean by that, keyboard is inactive, if I
press keys, nothing happens.

After that, I have managed to configure the network,
and installed all necessary packages for XFree86.
And of course, that didn't work :( I have modified my
XF86Config file as mentioned and when I type "startx",
the screen becomes black and after a couple of
seconds, the computer reboots itself !??. If you can
help me solving this problem, I can give you my
xf86config-4 file and the xf86config.0.log file.

Any ideas ?
                                       Alex

Le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger est arrivé ! Découvrez toutes les nouveautés pour
dialoguer instantanément avec vos amis. A télécharger gratuitement sur
http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com