Re: eth0 not detected?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: eth0 not detected?
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 22:37:38 +0200

   >    I take a walk over to /dev/ and see that there is no eth0 in
   > my directory.  I run ./MAKEDEV eth0 and get: ./MAKEDEV: eth0:
   > Unknown device name
   >
   > No need for such things on GNU/Hurd

   No need for eth0?  This HURD thing is crazy!  It's so strange to
   see something so visibly similar to linux, but different in so many
   ways...

No, pfinet (the TCP/IP stack) access the card in a different manner.
And anyway, GNU's not UNIX, remember?

[note, you're really use Debian GNU/Hurd, the Hurd is just a part, it
provides things like the file system, the TCP/IP stack, a couple of
libraries and some other stuff.]

   > What kind of card is it?  Have you checked /dev/klog (you can
   > only read it once, so cat it to a file and hit ^C after 2-3 sec)?

   Ok I took a look, and found:
     eth0: D-Link DE-600 pocket adapter: not at I/O 0x378
     D-Link DE-620 pocket adapter not identified in the printer port
     0 3c515 cards found.

   This was followed by an exact copy, but with eth1 instead of eth0.
   I only have one network card, so I'm not sure why it was seeing
   eth1.  I'm also not sure why it's looking for "printer port"
   identification, whatever that is.

Your card isn't detected.  You still didn't answer the first part of
the question though.