RE: Building and booting the HURD

From: Gregg C Levine
Subject: RE: Building and booting the HURD
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:47:14 -0400

Hello from Gregg C Levine
Marco have you actually tried those tar files? I downloaded all of
them, depending on which system I had in front of me, either an FTP
client, or via the wget client. Here's a screen full of error
messages:
root@who4:/gnu# tar --same-owner -xvf
debian-gnu-hurd-2004.09.17.tar.gz
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
tar: Read 8809 bytes from debian-gnu-hurd-2004.09.17.tar.gz
root@who4:/gnu# ls
debian-gnu-hurd-2004.09.17.tar.gz  lost+found/
root@who4:/gnu# tar --same-owner -xvf
debian-gnu-hurd-2004.09.17.tar.gz
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
tar: Read 827 bytes from debian-gnu-hurd-2004.09.17.tar.gz

root@who4:/gnu# tar --same-owner -xvf
debian-gnu-hurd-2004.05.09.tar.gz
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
tar: Read 387 bytes from debian-gnu-hurd-2004.05.09.tar.gz

root@who4:/gnu# tar --same-owner -xvf
debian-gnu-hurd-2004.05.09.tar.gz
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
tar: Read 9817 bytes from debian-gnu-hurd-2004.05.09.tar.gz

root@who4:/gnu# tar --same-owner -xvf debian-gnu-hurd-2003.11.21.tgz

tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
tar: Read 6038 bytes from debian-gnu-hurd-2003.11.21.tgz
root@who4:/gnu#

There is everything up there. Were they actually tested before being
uploaded? Reason why I posted to the BUG list, is because there's a
bug in the packaging for the tar file arrangements. What that is, I
can't begin to state. That's why I chose the one with your first name
on it, from Alpha. It's one I trust more, then those three.
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi