SV: K7 and K8 ; keyboard recognition;

From: sigbj-st
Subject: SV: K7 and K8 ; keyboard recognition;
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:19:44 +0100 (CET)

After correcting the '--repeater=' to '--repeat=' I am getting tty1-6. The
operation works nice and smooth on the K8.
But on STARTX I receive 'reading XF86Config....cannot open the keyboard...(no
such file)'
I tried different choices during the installation K8_CD1 while running
install.sh and gui.sh. Could it be that I messed the whole thing up doing wrong
or unnecessary choices?

The /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 looks like this at the keyboard section:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "no"
        Option          "XkbVariant"    "no"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "no"
EndSection

And by the way the mouse section:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "PS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Just to show you.
I am wondering what specificly should be written in the config-file, or if this
has anything to do with the freeze_and_hang I get upon startx at that point.
The required
'export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/X11R6/lib' is in the /etc/profile and I even tried to
specify to:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/X11R6/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Trying establishing symlinks is returned with '..kbd..already exist'. Can find
no /dev/cons after 'console -d.....' operation. Should I find it? I tried to
follow the DebianX in hurd.gnufans.org.

sigbj-st <sigbj-st@frisurf.no> writes:

> The startx have the problem of recognizing the keyboard and hurd hangs
> at this point.... The command 'console -d vga -d pc_kbd
> --repeater=kbd -d pc_mouse --repeater=mouse -c /dev/cons /dev/vcs'
> will not execute the expected result, and returns only with message to
> check console --help.

It seems like I was confused. Use --repeat instead of --repeater.
After that you need to make some symlinks. This is described on the
wiki:

http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Hurd/DebianX