GnuMach, minix and linuxkernel

From: sigbj-st
Subject: GnuMach, minix and linuxkernel
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:10:11 +0100 (CET)

Mach/GnuMachkernel is going to replace the unix/linuxkernel in the future
mainly because of the advantages of a microkernel versus a monolithic kernel
that ends to grow bigger and bigger and thus getting too resource demanding and
also awkward working with.

Tanenbaum - the man behind the microkernel minix - has always regarded the
linuxkernel as a step backwards as an architectural foundation for an OS even
though the success of the linuxkernel is appearant.

Is the work with HurdOS running as multiservers on top of GnuMach a realization
of Tanenbaums views here and thereby a corollary of his and these logical
pursuances?

Have I understood it right when I here presume that minix has a more
unixfashioned architecture which lack the specific features of Machs
task-thread-port functions and therefore cannot be improved as replacement for
the linuxkernel?