hurd: gnubie doubts

From: Shakthi Kannan
Subject: hurd: gnubie doubts
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:23:10 -0800 (PST)

Greetings!

I am a gnubie and have started working on GNU Hurd,
and have it installed on my thinkpad T41 (Debian GNU
Hurd K8 with 5 GB partition).

I just want to make sure I have understood the basics
(been reading docs and manuals), and would like to
clarify the following:

1/ The Hurd servers run many tasks. Tasks communicate
to the ports with messages, and hence a server can
have multiple ports?

2/ Multiple tasks can send messages through a port
(message queues), where the tasks have send rights for
the port?

3/ A single task alone has a receive right for a
particular port?

4/ Where do translators come in the above picture?

5/ If X server wants to talk with Y server, then it
makes a request to the filesystem server asking for a
"send right" to the Y server port?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

K Shakthi