Re: About fathers and sons

From: Thomas Bushnell BSG
Subject: Re: About fathers and sons
Date: 11 Mar 2005 15:24:00 -0800

Jose Luis Alarcon Sanchez <jlalarcon@gawab.com> writes:

>   - Why this "strange" way of produce processes?. In Unix init become
> father when the original father proccess is dead, is this right?. Why in
> Mach the processes dead so quickly while in Linux and other Unixes they
> don't do?.

What promised you that the processes would stay alive for a while?
It's not clear what output you are seeing, because you aren't giving
exactly what that program would print.

>   - Where are the processes x - 3 and x - 1?. I can't understand why
> this processes aren't into the scheme of processes production.

Other processes are being created on your system at the same time;
processes are roughly sequential, but there are no promises about the
numbering.  You cannot assume anything about it, and the ordering is
global across the whole system.  So if some other process forked in
between your two fork calls, then this would account for what you are
seeing.

>   - About signals: in our system the macro WTERMSIG(status) returns 88
> and the macro WSTOPSIG(status) returns 133. What are the mean of this
> signals?.

Those aren't signals, first off.

You aren't ever setting or initializing the variable STATUS, so you
can't assume anything about what it looks like.

Thomas