Re: Starting with the HURD: booting the system

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Re: Starting with the HURD: booting the system
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 07:29:47 -0500

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 02:13:54PM +0100, German Fabregat wrote:
>       Sorry for adding noise to the list.

That's what it is for, I'd say.  :-)

> I'm planning to use Mach-HURD
>       for teaching operating systems

Very interesting!  Do you want to give any details?

> and I am experiencing problems booting the
> system. I've just installed the HURD and generated a GRUB script
> according to the guidelines found at the Debian project page:
>
> kernel (hd0,6)/boot/gnumach.gz root=device:hd1s7 -s

Souldn't that rather be `hd0s7'?

> Everything seems to go all right, as modules are loaded and no error
> messages are displayed anywhere on the screen, but the system remains as
> blocked, and no activity from the keyboard is reflected anyhow on the
> screen. Only the num lock light reacts to its key as expected...

If you typed in the lines above by hand, you finally did enter `boot',
did you?

Better add the lines to the system's default GRUB configuration file, if
GRUB is installed or install it otherwise; it should be able to boot the
other operating systems you may have installed on that machine.

Regards,
 Thomas