Re: pfinet: malformed address

From: Richard Braun
Subject: Re: pfinet: malformed address
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 13:47:09 +0100

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 01:38:09PM +0100, Ulrich Grün wrote:
> I think I know what went wrong. When I gave the command, I was logged in as
> user root. I rebooted in -s and gave the command before logging in. Now, I
> didn't get any error message.
> Do I need to give this command every time I boot in Hurd?

That's certainly not the problem. I think you missed something during
installation, but I can't tell you what it is :-/.

> After I rebooted, I tried to use 'apt-get' and ftp to 'ftp.gnu.org', but I
> get
> only connection errors. Somehow, setting up ethernet didn't work (I edited
> the /etc/resolv.conf with the DNS addresses.)
>
> What about ' /dev/klog '?

/dev/klog is the pseudo device used to grab kernel messages. Reading it
is more or less the equivalent of using dmesg. If your installation went
fine, you can find the messages in /var/log. If not, use these commands :
cat /dev/klog > dmesg
[wait 3 seconds]
Ctrl-C (don't be in single user mode, that is, -s on the kernel command line,
or you won't be able to interrupt the process)
read the dmesg file

> A strange thing too (has nothing to do with the ethernet problem, probably):
> logging of messages doesn't work. In ' /var/log/messages ', I only see
> 'restart' and '---MARK---' messages, nothing more. How can I turn the logging
> on?

It's ok, there aren't many services logging on your system, that's all.

--
Richard Braun