Re: Bootstraping the Hurd

From: Michael Gruetzner
Subject: Re: Bootstraping the Hurd
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 20:13:41 +0100

On 27.12.2006, at 20:07, Paul Nema wrote:

Per Thomas Schwinge's reply, you have a hardware issue.
Suggest that you ask how to problem solve when booting.
Might be a flag that spits out debug messages that may point to your hardware issue.
Then you can work a fix
Good luck and happy new year

Yes, it might be a hardware issue. I installed qemu and I was able to boot the Hurd. I'll see if I can get it working with virtual PC too. Thank you for your help.

MfG
Michael

On 12/27/06, Michael Gruetzner <michael_gruetzner@gmx.de> wrote:
On 26.12.2006, at 16:50, Paul Nema wrote:

> Not sure how grub works under a virtual PC.
> According to your boot command you are booting from disk partition
> hd0,0 which would seem correct under a virtual PC.  Can you run the
> equvialnt to:
> grub> find /boot/gnumach.gz
> and see what grub tells you?

GRUB tells me, that /boot/gnumach.gz resides on (hd0,0) and since
there is no error message after typing
"kernel (hd0,0)/boot/gnumach.gz", I guess that GRUB finds the kernel.

> You should also check this link for suggestions too:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-hurd/1999/07/msg00069.html
> http://www.hurd.in/bin/view/Hurd/HurdOnVMware
> http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install

Thank you for these links, I noticed, that other people use a GRUB
floppy image while I use
a full featured (multi language) GRUB CD image. Could it be possible
that the version of
GRUB I use is missing something and therefore is unable to boot Hurd?

> Some other notes:
> The First time you run hurd after installing use the '-s' option ->
> run  in single user mode
> kernel (hd0,0)/boot/gnumach.gz root=device:hd2s1 -s
> So you can run all the intall stuff

I already tried the -s switch, but I think it should not have
anything to to with the bootstrapping problem I
currently have.

> FYI I'm just getting back into playing with the Hurd so let me know
> if this works out for you.

Not yet. :(

MfG
Michael