Re: c compiling problem

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Re: c compiling problem
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 22:36:34 +0100

Hello!

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 08:35:50PM +0000, freesoftware freesoftware wrote:
> First, I would like to apologize if the length of this
> msg is too big (I thought it would be helpful to give
> as much detail as I could)...

No problem, giving detailed information is indeed the right thing to do.

> I have already installed the Debian GNU/Hurd and
> everything seems to be ok

Nice!

> except for one problem. I
> installed (using apt-get) the gcc (version 4.1.2) to
> do some c programming. But when I try to compile a c
> program (an example is shown below) I get an error.
> [...]
> `gcc test.c' result:
>
> error: stdio.h: no such file or directory
> warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
> function 'printf'

The answer is -- most probably -- simple: just install the
`build-essential' package as well.  This package depends on other
packages (which will then be automatically installed as well), amongst
those is the one that contains the `stdio.h' header file.

Regards,
 Thomas