Re: Status of the Hurd ?

From: massimo s.
Subject: Re: Status of the Hurd ?
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 20:18:43 +0000

Alfred M. Szmidt ha scritto:
>    > But promoting a system a system that can't even handle a
>    > recompile of itself seems like inflicting damage on yourself;
>    > this applies to Debian as well.
>
>    huh? can't Debian recompile itself?!
>
> Without a alot of reboots between compiles, no.

Why? I use a gnu/linux Gentoo system, and it indeed can recompile itself
almost without a hitch (I just did it a month ago when upgrading to GCC
4.x from GCC 3.x) and surely with no more than a reboot for
recompiling/restarting the kernel.

Sure Gentoo is designed for self-recompilation, but it's matter of
managing scripts.
What stops Debian from doing the same?

m.