Re: Not entering multi-user mode

From: Conrado Miranda
Subject: Re: Not entering multi-user mode
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 17:15:45 -0200

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 12:42:48AM -0200, Conrado Miranda wrote:
> > I'm trying to use GNU/Hurd in a virtual machine and I'm using this
> > guide: http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install and this
> > (http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian-cd/K16/gnu-2007-12-01.tar.gz) root
> > tree.
> > Everything worked ok until after step 6, when I get:
>
> Are you sure there were no errors?

The only things that sound like errors, but I'm not sure are:
"Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI card!
EATA0: address 0x1f0 in use, skipping probe.
EATA0: address 0x170 in use, skipping probe."
and
"Intel ISA/PCI/CardBus PCIC probe:
  no bridges found.
ds: no socket drivers loaded!"

I didn't found the logs, so I can't post them.

> > And when I try step 7, I get this message:
> > "sh: start_pipeline: pgrp pipe: (ipc/mig) bad request message ID
> > settrans: /hurd/pfinet: Translator died"
>
> See whether / is maybe mounted read-only, for example by trying to
> "touch /tmp/foo".

When I try the touch, I get the same message ("sh: start_pipeline:
pgrp pipe: (ipc/mig) bad request message ID"), but it creates the
file, and when I use "mount" it says "typed:device:hd0s1 on / type
(hd0,0)/hurd/ext2fs.static (rw,no-inherit-dir-group)", so it is
writable.